Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Strippers and Pre-Season Football


I've received a few phone calls and text messages this week from various people wondering what I have planned for the Ravens-Redskins pre-season game on Thursday. Not too mention, I have seen even more people post stupid status messages on Facebook regarding how excited they are that the NFL season has begun and there is finally football to watch. Despite all this attention, I could not give one rat's ass about pre-season football. It's pointless, the majority of the veterans and more talented players are just half-assing their way through the action so they can receive their paycheck and help the NFL boost revenue. Not one of them gives a damn and the only thing you can truly hope for in the post-season is that a star player does not go down with an injury, but yet their are thousands of football fans who love to talk trash and brag about how well "their" team has looked during the pre-season and it's just a sign of an up and coming Superbowl run. Basically, I consider the NFL pre-season to be along the same lines of a strip club. Thousands of guys across the country go into the game or club with their hopes overly exposed, with their pockets full of cash or their dreams of Byron Leftwich actually becoming the quarterback he was once expected to be out of Marshall, only to come away with the realization that they just blew a boatload of cash on a stripper named Minnie Mouse and are still going home to only the right hand, or the realization that after week 1 of the regular season, Leftwich will once again be exposed as an ungodly immobile quarterback, with a cannon for an arm, no confidence, no accuracy, and very few W's under the belt. The NFL pre-season, it's just not all it's cracked up to be.


I'm looking forward to this weekend because Friday I will get the opportunity to combine a few of my favorite things in life. The Orioles, Pickles Pub, and people. Plus, to make things more exciting Chris Tillman is on the mound and I'm looking forward to seeing the kid pitch. If he develops like he is projected too the Orioles rotation could actually be somewhat formidable next season with him, Bergesen, Hernandez, Matsusz, and whoever the hell else we decide to throw into the mix, most likely the home run friendly Jeremy Guthrie. I may even try and get over to the stadium early, because Mickey Tettleton and Mike Deveraux will be signing autographs, and Mickey Tettleton hold's the bat funny.

Than on Saturday, I am supposed to make an appearance at Mosiac for Bobby's birthday and a 20 dollar holla. The only problem is I am supposed to be a late stay at the Glory Days, which means it is very unlikely that I would get out at a respectable enough time to head down to Powerplant. Despite my problems reaching Powerplant, it seems that the probability of me running into Smedium Saturday night should be very high, because the little bastard has been sneaking into my basement and shacking up in my bed on the regular. So once again I want to send out my apologies to Jess, because the likelyhood of you receiving another late night booty call via text is very probable. The only thing that has yet to be determined is if you will be invited to the couch or to the bed.

No comments: