Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Mocked by a 9 year old.


The summer season is a time for vacation and ever since I was a small child my parents have chosen Bethany Beach as their annual place of rest and relaxation. Every year they coordinate with my Dad's friend Denis Curran and our two families travel down to the fabulous A.O. on the same week. Last Friday, for the first time in several years, I took part in the family vacation. Last year I missed out on the opportunity because Baltimore County dictated where I slept on the weekends and Bo Brooks owned my life during the week. The year before I was supposed to spend the week with my parents in Bethany, but I teamed up with Townsend and Phelps, avoided my parents for nearly the whole entire week, and caused raucous all over Ocean City.

The Curran family, which is quite the extended family, was running a little behind and they didn't make it down to Bethany until Saturday. As a result of inclement weather, family issues, and various other things I didn't quite get the opportunity to spend come quality time with the Curran's until Monday and it is that day, that I received quite the tongue lashing from a young lad. Denis' oldest daughter Amy, is married, 38, and has three young children. Her first is a twelve year old girl named Molly, her second is a 9 year old socialite named River, and she also has a 6 month year old named Wyatt. Saturday evening, my parents were entertaining a few guests and my father borrowed a bottle of wine from the Curran's to help assist the entertainment and Monday the task of returning a new bottle of wine was handed over to none other but myself. After dropping the bottle off with his grandfather, River approached me and asked me if I wanted to play some poker. Now, as you may well know, I usually don't pass up on an offer to play some Texas Hold 'Em, and before I know it I'm sitting down with Denis, River, Denis' adopted son Sam, Denis' nephew Jimmy, and the boyfriend of Denis' younger daughter, Bart. Bearing that it was quite the friendly game, the stakes were rather low, everyone bought in for 5 bucks and we were soon on our way. In January, I posted a blog about playing 5 dollar poker with the Jacoby's and mocked the game, but this was somewhat excusable, their was a 9 year old at the table, and beer was also being served. Besides the two minor's, every one at the table was enjoying a cold adult beverage. It didn't take long before, I picked up one the fact that River will one day be quite the card player. The little punk was bluffing, laying down strong hands, and playing some impressive poker. I was so impressed that I told him I may just have to take him to Vegas when he turns 21. This comment got the little guy real excited and he than informed me that he would be turning ten soon and that was only eleven years away. It turns out that River's birthday is the day before mine, and when I shared this bit of information with the general public, the kid wanted to know my age. I told him that I would be turning 24 and it is at this point that I received some harsh criticism. River immediately remarked, "If your 24, where's your girlfriend?" I went on to tell the kid I didn't have one, and he replied, "My mom was married at 24, you must be messing up." Bart jumped into the conversation at this point and said something about how he was single at 24 and it really isn't that uncommon for a 24 year old to be single, but River wasn't buying the bull and responded "Yeah and now your 31 just like Aunt Katie and still not married, so somethings gotta be wrong." At this point, we both kinda accepted defeat and figured this was an arguement we weren't gonna win , went on with the game, and got on with our messed up lives. A few hands later, the kid was cashing out, with 12 bucks, and on his way down to the town to squander it on whatever 9 year old's spend money on nowadays, and I was soon packing up and heading home with an extra four bucks. I guess what I'm trying to say is, when it come's to 5$ poker, a 9 year old has a better chance of not going broke than Creech and your also probably more likely to get him to throw in for pizza.

I have a bit more to say, but I'm going to save it for another day. The next blog I post, will be about my main man Woody and it should be an epic one. I'm actually going to put some time and effort into it, and hell, I may even proofread the thing.

No comments: