Friday, February 20, 2009

Rudy, Lil Wayne, and Crash Davis



I was watching this football movie on AMC, the other day, and it got me thinking. Besides Henry Winkler and Sean Astin, is there any actor or actress who is more famous for the character they played in a specific film or television show? Seriously, whenever you see a new film with Al Pacino you don't yell out "Hey, its Scarface!" But, when you watched "The Waterboy" for the first time you probably yelled out "Hey, its Fonzie!" Just like when you watched "Lord of the Rings" you yelled out, "Hey, its Rudy!". You probably did the same thing in "Click", which god forbid had both of them. Either way, I just thought it was funny, because until the ending credits of "Rudy," I had no idea that his name was Sean Astin, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't either. But, when I watched "Lord of the Rings," I couldn't stop laughing because the whole time all I was thinking is " Wow, Rudy definitely has homosexual tendencies for Frodo."

Speaking of movies, I was watching "Bull Durham" and Kevin Costner as "Crash Davis" desperately saves that movie. Without him, it would just be Tim Robbins looking like a right handed retarded version of Fernando Valenzuela as he points his head up towards the sky and somehow manages to strike batters out, while banging out a complete small town whore in Susan Sarandon, with a fascanition for tormenting her sexual partners with poetry. But thanks to Crash, it's actually a damn good baseball movie.

On Tuesday, I had to stop by the Superfesh to pick up a few things. When it came time to check out, I went towards the self-checkout lane. There was only one customer in front of me with just a small amount of items in their shopping cart, so I figured it would be your typical in and out deal. However, it was far from anything routine. The customer in front of me was an elderly Asian lady and she was having the most difficult time figuring out the self-checkout lane. Now, there were several people in line behind me at time, and one by one they started moving to different lanes. In fact, there was one lady who started just after the elderly Asian lady, with three shopping carts full of 3 liter sodas, generic brand cereals, and Hot pockets, and she finished before the troubled Asian. However, instead of going with the trend of the store, I found this lady to be quite amusing and stayed put. She kept trying to type things onto the screen, scan the items on the wrong side, and do god knows whatever else. The manager of the store, who was surprisingly hot, came over on multiple occasions to assist her and it was to of no avail. Despite all this, I couldn't move, I was fascinated with how much difficulty this lady was having. Unfourtunately, the fun eventually came to an end and she proceeded to checkout. After that, the rest of my day just seemed irrelevant.

If you are one that pays attention to ESPN, you may have noticed that they have recently added rapper Lil Wayne to their staff. He was on "Around the Horn" this week and has started his own blog on their website. I was browsing through his reader's comments on the website, and it seemed like a good majority of the people reading were upset about this. They were leaving comments referring to his lack of experience, his improper use of the English language, claiming he has never played sports on a major level, and a variety of other things to humiliate and bring down the rapper. I found this a shame. First of all, these assholes leaving their comments, were also claiming they were more suited for a job with ESPN. That is a joke, you just had one quick comment to leave your mark, and you made yourself look like an ass. Now, your saying you and your shitty ass life deserve a spot over one of the most popular entertainers in the country. The whole thing just amused me and if you were watching "Around the Horn" this week, Lil Wayne is simply the most amusing person on there. Host Tony Reali, obviously agreed, as he eliminated the panel round after round, even though Wayne was trailing on the scoreboard. His blog was just as amusing, the man knows how to rap, and the man knows sports, well, at least the man knows how to be amusing when it comes to sports. Which makes his blog, readable and enjoyable, to say the least. Anyways, he's definitely better than Tony Kornheiser.

Today, after more than 23 years of life, I suffered my first nose bleed.

No comments: